recognition programs have been around for decades and most businesses have
them. That doesn’t, however, mean that they all do them well. Some of these
programs are just something that HR has always taken care of, some are just
generic presents, some are simply posted letters of congratulations and so
are many companies that simply don’t recognise the opportunity that these
programs present to delight employees and give them the appreciation that they
deserve. When done properly, service awards are a holistic way to encompass
everything that your employee brings to the table and to show how they make a
difference to the company.
The Benefits of
Employee Service Milestone Awards
When done right,
employee service milestone programs can have a multitude of benefits for
employees within the company and your business as a whole:
- Employee retention: A high employee turnover is a bad thing for your business. It means that you will continually be recruiting and training new employees at great cost to your business. These programs will improve your employee retention with more employees being loyal to the company and wanting to stay on for many more years.
- Employee satisfaction: It’s no secret that employees that feel appreciated and valued are more likely to produce good work. When you reward your employees properly for their time and efforts at your company, you aren’t just improving their work experience but also ensuring that they are keeping up high standards of work for your business.
- Inspires others: When employees see that those who have been at the company for many years being treated well, they are more likely to want to stay on. Other employees will be inspired by the appreciation shown to long-stayers and want to reach the milestones themselves.
- Employees feel as if they fit in: When you reward an employee not just for how long they’ve been at the company but also for the work that they’ve done while they’ve been there, you are helping them feel more at home in their workplace and that they fit in with those around them.
- Culture: Workplace culture cannot be underestimated as a facet in company success. These kinds of programs foster a positive workplace environment, and this goes far in helping all employees across the company feel more satisfied and appreciated.
How Are You Recognising Your Employee Service Milestones?
When it comes to
finding the right awards and gifts for employees that have hit the magical 5,
10, 15, 20 and 25 or more mark, it’s important that you don’t simply get the
receptionist to send a generic award out. This won’t make the employee feel
valued or appreciated and they could begin to question if it’s worth staying on
The best way to go
about creating something special and memorable for them is to think about it in
a holistic way that takes into account the work they do, their friends in the
workplace and a special something that they will love personally. Here are just
some of the best ideas:
- Personal congratulations: Nothing beats a handwritten letter or in-person thanks from someone high up in the business. Ensure that your CEO or some sort of senior league personally thanks and congratulates employees on their special milestones.
- Personal item: If you don’t know your employee personally then it is worth asking colleagues and friends about what they need or would love as a gift. This could be anything from jewellery and electronics to kitchen accessories, memberships or paid holidays to a beautiful destination.
- A celebration: It’s important to involve the employee’s work friends and colleagues in their celebration. Through an intimate celebration such as a dinner or lunch or even a weekend away.
- Symbolic award: It’s also important to ensure that you give the employee a symbol of appreciation for their service. This should be something that reminds them of the company and that they will be proud to display on their desk or at home.
At Impact Glass
Creations we are well aware of the nuances involved in creating something
personalised and memorable for employee recognition and awards. Get in touch
with us if you’d like to see how we can help you show your employees how much
their years at the company mean to you.